How I Work

I’m very shamelessly lifting this concept from Ron Bronson, who posted a blog with precisely this title, inspired by Lifehacker’s series on Wednesday. I liked it so much I decided to write my own.

Ma’ayan Plaut ‘10

This is the webteam room. Pictured: Violet and Will, hard at work. Not pictured: Harris/his desk, Cary/his desk, to the right of this photo.

Ma’ayan Plaut ‘10

My space. I’ve surrounded myself with photos I’ve taken (in Oberlin and beyond) and squirrels. I’m also really close to my to-do list and a bottle of water at all times. Some of these drawers contain things that are fun and/or necessary, i.e. snacks, tea, and thank you cards.

Ma’ayan Plaut ‘10

From where I sit.

Ma’ayan Plaut ‘10

Me observing things behind my desk. That’s a photo with friend Sandhya from our first month of college, plus a fire extinguisher, my light source, and where my coat lives.

What do you listen to at work? Equally divided between Spotify and (usually along with the rest of the webteam). I’ve got some go-to playlists on Spotify, but sometimes I get stuck in musical ruts and listen to the same albums over and over again because they help me focus.

What is your favorite to-do list manager? Paper to-do list. I write it in pen, mark things off with a sharpie when it’s done. I also have a few reminders on my phone for the in-between times when I’m not at my desk (they’re usually a reminder to put something on the list). It’s super-great for my weekly office updates (I can just flip back and see what I’ve done) and for keeping track day-to-day what’s getting done and what needs more time.

What’s your sleep routine like? Sometime in the zone of 11pm-midnight til 7:45am. I’m pretty good at sticking to it. #grownup

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can’t you live without? Really really excellent question. I also adore my hot water kettle like Ron mentioned, but I would have to say my Nikon. I don’t shoot with it tons anymore, but when I pull it out, I’m insanely happy. I love the quality of images I get with my iPhone, but nothing really compares to my comfort level and glee associated with an SLR.

What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else? Ugh, I hate this question. I don’t think I’m “better” at things than others, but I’ve definitely got things I do more every day that those around me. The top one is probably optimism. I’m always looking for a good side to everything, and even if things are terrible, I’m always latching onto the positive element.

What’s the best advice you’ve ever received? I really have no idea what the best advice has been — maybe I haven’t noticed it’s the best yet because I haven’t embraced it, maybe it’s just been best at the time. The one that’s coming to mind right now is via someone in career services, but it originated beyond there (with Paolo Coelho, or so says the internet): “It’s all going to be fine in the end. If it’s not fine, it’s not the end.” It’s a strange combination of positive and continuing to persevere

Is there anything else you’d like to add for your readers? Yes! Be the best human you can be for yourself. It’s really the best way to go.

Add Your Comments

To prevent spam, comments will be sent for approval before they appear on the website. Sign in on OnCampus to comment immediately.