Oberlin College & Conservatory

Oberlin OnCampus

Sign In

Happy Valentine's Day to Residents of Kendal

Feb. 14, 2017

Photo by John Seyfried

On this Valentine’s Day, I’m thinking of all the wonderful people in the Oberlin community. There are so many inspiring students, faculty, staff, and community members. In particular, I want to recognize the older members of our community who add so much energy and wisdom.

I recently had the honor of speaking and dining at Kendal at Oberlin. The evening reminded me of how much Kendal’s 335 residents and outstanding staff contribute to the City of Oberlin, the Oberlin City Schools, and to the College and Conservatory, through their participation in events, through their civic and religious engagement, through their many hours of volunteer work, through the work they do teaching and mentoring students from the College, the Conservatory, and from Oberlin’s schools, and through their philanthropy.

In 2012, Oberlin was named as one of five inaugural America’s Best Intergenerational Communities by MetLife Foundation/Generations United. Kendal is the driving force and the intergenerational engagement distinguishes Oberlin and makes this one of the best small towns in the State of Ohio. So on behalf of everyone at the College and the Conservatory, Happy Valentine’s Day, and lots of love to all our friends at Kendal!

CAREER ADVICE

As second semester kicks into higher gear, I want to extend my annual offer to meet with any graduating senior to brainstorm job opportunities, careers, and/or graduate schools. The process is simple: meet with the staff at the Career Center, get your resume together, and prepare a brief description of your career goals. Then make an appointment with me by contacting my assistant, Jennifer Bradfield, at Jennifer.Bradfield@oberlin.edu. I will do all I can to help you think about life after Oberlin and connect you with people who can offer career and job-specific advice, counsel, and, in some cases, opportunities.

Comment on this article

To prevent spam, comments will be sent for approval before they appear on the website. Sign in to comment immediately.

• Write anything you like as long as it’s civil and productive. Attack ideas if you wish, but not people. Oberlin = love, remember? (Seriously. Be nice or your comment will be removed.)