Special Alert: Theft from a Person near Campus
Oct. 3, 2013
To: The Oberlin College Community From: Marjorie Burton, Director of Safety and Security Date: October 3, 2013
On Thursday, October 3, 2013 at approximately 1:15 p.m. an Oberlin student reported to the Safety and Security Office a theft from his person occurring in the City of Oberlin near campus, on North Pleasant Street, north of Lorain Street. The victim reported shortly after 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 2, 2013 he was approached by a person from behind while walking on North Pleasant Street, and his backpack was grabbed from his back. The person committing the theft ran north, meeting a second male on a bicycle, holding a bicycle for him to ride away. There was no threat, no weapon and no injury reported. The victim reported the incident to Oberlin Police Department.
Oberlin Police are investigating the incident. Anyone who may have any information should contact the Oberlin Police Department at 440-774-1061.
For Community Safety, the following suggestions are offered:
- Take appropriate action for your safety and/or to alert others if a person makes threats, is acting in an unstable manner, or makes irrational or threatening statements.
- Contact Emergency 911 if outside of campus or seek assistance if you do not carry a cell phone. Give your name, location and brief explanation of the situation. Take note of the person’s physical appearance, clothing, vehicle, and direction of travel.
- On campus, report persons you do not know who may be present, but not conducting campus related activity on or around campus grounds to Safety and Security at 440-775-8911.
- Lock your residence doors when at home, when you are not present or are sleeping.
- Utilize Safety and Security services such as safety escorts, the Student Shuttle Service that runs 9:00 pm to 2:00 am (440-775-RIDE) and emergency blue light phones for assistance.