Oberlin College & Conservatory

Oberlin OnCampus

Sign In

Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance

May 29, 2013

As the end of the academic year comes to a close, the Department of Human Resources wants to remind you of an important benefit: Free Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance Services for employees.

This service provides eligible active employees, spouses/domestic partners, and minor dependent children who are traveling at least 100 miles from home a full range of emergency services. To take advantage of this benefit, you (and/or family members) must be covered by UNUM Life Insurance Employees of Oberlin College who have benefits, have the UNUM term life benefit as a default, and/or have purchased the additional optional UNUM life policy. With a phone call you can gain access to services such as: emergency medical evacuation, medically supervised repatriation, guaranteed foreign hospital admission, prescription replacement assistance, and even legal, interpreter, and emergency trauma counseling referrals.

To use the service, you'll need a Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance card. If you already have the card from past years, it is still valid. You can acquire a card by picking one up at the Department of Human Resources, sending an e-mail message to Christine.Smith@oberlin.edu, or logging on to www.assistamerica.com/ and printing one.

To log in and print a card:

  1. Access the Internet and type www.assistamerica.com into the navigation bar; click enter.

  2. This opens the webpage for Assist America. In the upper right hand corner is a Log-In link; select Member Login (not Client Login). This opens a page that asks for a valid reference number—use 01-AA-UN-762490 and hit enter.

  3. This will open the link to the Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance card, and you are able to print it from there. For information on the services available, click on the “Assistance Services” link at the top of the page. A drop down menu opens, click again on “Assistance Services,” and you can read/print out the services offered with this card.

These services are offered by UNUM, Oberlin College's carrier for Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Long-Term Disability, and Long-Term Care insurance coverage. For more information about this benefit, visit the Unum Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance Services website.

If you have any other questions, you may call UNUM at (800) 872-1414 or the Department of Human Resource at (440) 775-8430. For technical support, call UNUM at (800) 304-4585.