Simple Assault near Campus
June 21, 2012
To: The Oberlin College Community
From: Marjorie Burton, Director
Date: June 21, 2012
The Safety and Security Office is informing the Oberlin Community of an incident occurring near campus on late Tuesday evening/early Wednesday morning, June 20, 2012. Oberlin Police Department responded immediately to a request to assist an individual who reported he was the victim of a physical altercation off campus while walking in the area of West College Street, west of Cedar Street. The victim reported he was approached by a group of four to five males, one of whom made a verbal contact with him; then struck him in the face. The victim did not request medical assistance and did not wish to pursue the incident at the time of his report.
Individuals walking should remain aware that incidents, such as the one reported to Oberlin Police, can occur in any community. While safety advice cannot assure a crime will not occur, consider incorporating safe practices:
• Be aware of those around you. Instead of approaching or passing groups, cross the street, or wait in a nearby open business until they pass.
• Make a plan of potential escape routes where you frequently walk, incorporating your knowledge of open businesses, places where people congregate who can offer safe refuge, houses where you know an occupant.
• Stay in populated areas. Look confident in where you are going, how you walk, and what you are doing.
• Carry your purse or bag securely. If there are two of you, place bas between you instead of on the outside. • Avoid displaying valuables—turn rings around, keep necklaces tucked under your clothing. • If someone is harassing you on the street, go to a populated store or shop; ask them to call the police. Decide what you might do to react if verbally contacted. • If you are mugged, give up your property rather than being injured. • Avoid traveling alone, if you can. Try to walk in the middle of the sidewalk instead of next to a building.
• If you feel unsafe contact the police, or campus safety and security, at the numbers, below.
If you witness a crime or become a victim of a crime, report what occurred immediately, and accept law enforcement advice about your personal safety. Oberlin Police can be contacted at (440)774-1061, or through 911 emergency services; Oberlin College Safety and Security can be contacted at (440)775-8444. 12-0672