Special Alert: Attempted Burglary of Bike Co-op
April 17, 2011
To: The Oberlin College Community From: Marjorie Burton, Director Date: April 17, 2011
The Office of Safety and Security is alerting the community of an attempted burglary of the Bike Co-op; a student organization space with its own separate entrance, but attached to a residence hall. At approximately 2:10 a.m. Safety and Security officers were investigating an unusual pounding sound when they made contact with a male subject at the Co-op door.
Oberlin Police were contacted, and the subject, a male not affiliated with the college who later gave police a Wakeman, Ohio, address, was subsequently charged with attempted breaking and entering and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanor offenses. He was also served with a no trespass notice from the college, and heremains incarcerated pending his court appearance.
Anyone with information on the above incident, or information on any similar suspicious activity, should contact the Oberlin Police at 440-774-1061, or may report the information to the Office of Safety and Security at 440-775-8444.
The Office of Safety and Security offers the following recommendations:
1. Report any unusual activities or noise that is not normal for the time of day or place of occurrence.
2. When leaving your apartment or residence, lock your doors and windows.
3. Don’t leave valuables, IDs or bank or credit cards visible through windows in your car or apartment. Avoid handling large sums of money in front of persons with whom you are not familiar.
4. Report any suspicious person or activity, and take appropriate action for your safety and to alert others if a person makes threats, is acting in an unstable manner, or makes irrational or threatening statements or actions.
5. Contact Emergency 911 or safety and security at ext. 58911 or 440-775-8911 by cell phone, or via an emergency blue light phone, if outside on campus. Give your name, location and brief explanation of the situation. Take note of the person’s physical appearance, clothing, and vehicle.
6. Report persons you do not know who may be present, but not conducting campus related activity on or around campus grounds, or who may “tailgate” others into a residence hall or academic building.
7. Utilize safety and security services such as safety escorts, student shuttle services, and emergency blue light phones for assistance.
Marjorie L. Burton
Director of Safety and Security
159 West Lorain Street
Oberlin, OH 44074
Phone: 440-775-8444 / -5782